Saturday, November 15, 2008

Final Reflection

From ES2007S, I learned two aspects of communication that I have never paid attention to---one from the book, the other from my lecturer and class mates. The two aspects complement each other, and benefit me in my work and daily life.

From book, I learned that communication is not only about open the mouth and talk; there are a lot of theories and tips to help to achieve effective communication. When we talk, we should adjust the tone, pace, accent to make sure the audience can follow. When we listen, we should rephrase the talk in mind and respond to the speaker. When we write, we should follow 7Cs (Courtesy, Correctness, Conciseness, Clarity, Coherence, Cohesion, Concreteness, and Completeness). So here, I will follow Concreteness to say that I did benefit from this course. I followed what I learned from the course to write a resume and cover letter to apply for an internship position, and was selected for an interview. After giving a good impression to the interviewer, I got the offer.

From my lecturer and class mates, I learned that communication is not a one-time effort. It takes time to practice the rules and tip to achieve effective communication. Ms Kim always says our class is the quietest one in her three classes. She tried a lot to motivate us to apply the knowledge we learned in this course to communicate with each other, but we still kept our mouths closed most of the time. Until the last three to four lessons, we started to talk, joke and laugh in class. Especially in the last lesson—although it was a test -- we did not feel any stress but cheer up for each other. When we looked back the way we went through, we did apply the rules of effective communication when we read and replied to each other’s block, communicated in class and so on. AS time went on, we got to know each other better and built up friendship.

At the end of the post and also the course, I want to say thank you Ms Kim, thank you all my class mates. I wish you all the best!

8 comments:

audrey said...

Hello Wang Xu! Firstly, congratulations on getting the internship position. I am glad that this course has benefited you. You have reaped what you sow by applying what you have learnt into your daily life. Learning to write good resumes and cover letters come in handy for those of us who are looking for jobs or internships.

I think you did a great job at the oral presentation. I like the way you present; loud and clear. You look so confident and sounded convincing. :)

It`s a really a pity that this course has to come to an end. All of us just managed to break the ice and yet we have to part. Thanks for making my learning journey such a pleasant one.

NangAye said...

Hi Wang Xu
Yes,communication is not a one-time effort. It is a long learning process. First, we need to know theories and applying them in our daily life appropriately will definitely improve our communication skills. As Ms Kim mentioned, we also need to talk and interact with more people to improve our communication skills.

Glad that you got the offer from the company that you impressed. Finally, you got it. I really enjoyed doing projects with you and Zhengning.
Thanks for being such a good team-mate.

ES2007_ZN said...

buddy ya buddy. I am very happy to work with you and Nang in this course. Both of you are very kind. Moreover, congratulations on getting the intership. And wish you all the best!

May said...

Hihi Wang Xu! Glad to hear that you got an internship from the company. This shows that you can give a good impression in regarding with your resume and cover letter. Wish you all the best for the coming exam and happy working.

Kah Chun said...

Congratulations for securing your internship. The 7Cs are indeed very important in writing as it does contribute alot in daily life such as writing job application letters, research papers and etc.

I agree with Audrey that your research project is well presented as you showed that you have the confidence. Goob job.. =)

MJ said...

yup!!! I believe we were quite funny during the test! I was so nervous until I went to the room, and everyone was joking with each other instead of studying (like the usual scene we see before every test)

Congrats for your internship!!

hanbin said...

I have the same thought at begining too! I thought a good communication is to speak well and listen carefully. Besides what you mentioned, now I realize that writing also take an important part of a good communication. Writing a proper memo, a proper email, a persuasive report, or a nice resume and a convincing cover letter, they did matter a lot in our daily life and work. I think i will also focus on writing.

grace kim said...

Hi Wang Xu,

You're right that "communication is not a one-time effort" and that it takes time and practice to be an effective communicator. Hope this realisation/insight will spur you on to continue to refine your communication skills to become a more effective communicator.

Thanks for all your effort and contributions this semester. I know you put in a lot of hard work and practice into your oral presentation. It paid off, didn't it?

Congrats on your job offer! Hope the communication skills learnt will serve you well during your internship.

It has been a pleasure having you in my class.

All the best!